Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A piece


"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known."

Should be doing my homework but there is a prevailing thought in my mind that has been very persistent. I’m attempting to write an Op-Ed piece wondering what is most important to me right now, professionally speaking. All I can come up with are Politics and our youth . Kind of biased right? Me being a young Senate intern in D.C. at the moment and all.

I want to dig a little deeper than that. Two things that I am passionate about, youth and politics. Essentially, the involvement of our generation, of our young people, in the political realm. Experiencing this political world right in the heart of politics, in the hometown of the nation, has been a wakeup call. A rude awakening, if you may, for a lack of a better term. Not only is it making me realize how much information is out there available to us, but now more than ever I see how little I do know.

There is a multitude of resources available within our reach, which informs us of everything that is going on in our country. Newspapers, news channels, websites, news feeds, etc. At the end of this blog I am going to add a list of websites that have helped me learn about all the new bills tremendously. On some sites you can type a phrase or the bill number and it will give you the full text, summary, and a list of the co-sponsors.

It is up to you to reach out and open yourself up to all the possibilities. Make it a priority to get out there and learn as much as you can. It’s never to late to start. Find deep within yourself a genuine desire to learn and inform yourself. I’m not a Political Science major; so I am hoping to resonate with a certain audience. I am trying to reach out to the individuals who believe it is not important to get involved in politics or that it is a subject that should not mix with their beliefs or traditions. Especially to our younger generation, its never to late to start, but don’t wait until you are 21 like me. (Not that it’s a bad thing, either)

I am a 21-year-old Hispanic Christian and now I am realizing how uninformed I’ve been to this subject. It’s sad and yes confusing, but very well worth the effort and the long nights reading and doing research. Politics run our nation, it is our responsibility to immerse our selves into the news, into the campaigns, and stay current with what is going on. It is our responsibility to exercise our right to vote and make educated decisions. It is only our very own responsibility to study the political parties and choose for ourselves whether we are a Republican, Democrat, or an Independent.

No matter your religion preference, age, ethnicity, or sex, getting informed on politics is a must. We live in a country where it is available to us, where we can research who is running for what and how much money they have raised, from where the money is coming, and what they plan on doing with it.

The name of this blog is peace, love, & politics. With the creation of this blog I wanted to combine a journal record of my D.C. experience, spread God’s love, and incorporate everything I am learning about Politics. With that being said, this will be my first official ‘political entry’. Next blog to come I want to share with you all a summary of all the bills I have learned about these past three weeks working in D.C. Very interesting stuff! Everything from saving the Great Apes, to banning contraceptives in Catholic hospitals, and stopping the online privacy act. (& more!) Till next time friends.

God bless your sweet souls,

Cynthia Navarro


Websites worth checking out! They have really helped me while speaking to constituents and while doing research for the Legislative Aids. 



FactCheck.org
Crs.gov
Senate.gov
Thomas.lov.gov
Votesmart.org

No comments:

Post a Comment